Use SSL encrypted login
- Hotmail provides the users the option to use SSL encrypted login for the various accounts. You will be able to use this by going to the account settings page at https://account.live.com/ManageSSL.
- You can also go to https://www.hotmail.com and when you are first signing in, you will be asked whether you want to do login using SSL always. Using the SSL will keep your Hotmail login secure from hackers.
- Using HTTPS will be highly useful if you regularly use public computers to access your account or when you use unsecure Wi-Fi connections. You can either opt for the automatic HTTPS connection or you can use them selectively by opting for “don’t use HTTPS automatically.
- If you are looking for temporary HTTPS, then you can enter https instead of http in front of the web address.
Use URL for login
There are many newsletters and emails which provide links to login to your Hotmail account. You should not use these links to access the login Hotmail . You can type in the URL https://www.hotmail.com or you can use mail.live.com to access Hotmail. This will prevent the fraudsters from accessing your Hotmail login details. Even though you go to the Hotmail URL, you will be directed to Outlook.com for accessing your Hotmail account as Hotmail has been rebranded as Outlook.com with Microsoft. The outlook is modern and offers complete privacy. You will be in total control of your personal conversations and data. It will work for various devices such as PC, smart phones, tablet, Mac, etc.
There are millions of people around the world using Hotmail as their free web mail service. Though we use the Hotmail accounts for our mailing needs and also for the storage of data, there are problems faced by users such as hacking, phishing, etc. If you do not use secure ways to access your Hotmail account, you may end up losing your email account and valuable personal information. Here are the tips to make your Hotmail login secure.
Using single–use code
Many people need to access their Hotmail account from public computers like schools, library, café, colleges, office computers, etc. In such cases, it is better to use single-use code instead of your account password to log-in purpose.
- The single-use code can be used instead of the password when you sign in with your Hotmail ID.
- You can request for this code when you need to access the account from public computers or when you need to make your login extra secure.
- Hotmail will send the code to the mobile number provided by you as a text message. Each code can be used only one time for login and you can request one every time you need it.
With the single-use code, you don’t have to type the password to unsecure public computers and it also helps in preventing the chances of password being stolen by key loggers and malware.
Make password case sensitive
Hotmail introduced the case sensitive password system to make the Hotmail account login more secure. This requires the users to use passwords exactly like they have entered while creating the Hotmail account, to get access to the account during login. It is better to create passwords with upper case letters as well as with lower case to make them more secure. Using case sensitive passwords will make them difficult to guess by hackers. You need to check whether the caps lock is on or off before you enter your password in order to access your Hotmail account. Entering the password in wrong cases will result in denial of access to the account.
Use account recovery option when needed
If you are not able to login to your Hotmail account even when you are sure that you are using the right password, you can use the account recovery option to get access to your account. You can find this option by going to Hotmail login page. You will be directed to the Outlook.com login screen and click on the option “can’t access your account”. You need to specify why you are not able to access the account by clicking the option given on the screen. If you have already checked your password, click the “Next” button. You will be asked to enter the Microsoft account you want to enter. You will also need to enter a CAPTCHA provided and click “Next”. You will be asked how you want to receive the account recovery code. You can opt for alternate email or mobile number to get the recovery code. Microsoft will send the recovery code to the given option and you can enter this code in the area provided on the web page to do Hotmail login successfully.